Saturday, April 30, 2011

Mythical Creatures and Legends of Moon Lake




Every place has it’s stories, it’s history. Some more than others. Moon Lake is no exception. Originally Developed in the 1930s as a rustic resort and hunting lodge that catered to the rich, it carries the stories of 7 generations of Moon Lakeans. And all though there are dozens that I know of and probably countless more that I’ve yet to hear,
These are the three most widely known Legends of the Lake.
Al Capone, the Founder of Moon Lake Estates.
This one is a little tricky. Almost everyone who has reason to know believes that Al Capone was the money behind the developing of the “Moon Lake Dude Ranch” The rustic hunting lodge and resort from which moon lake estates sprang from. Historically, there is no positive proof that Capone was part owner of the Lodge, but could one really expect to find a paper trail from a known gangster? The Ranch was at one time a hot spot for wealthy influential families such as the Vanderbilt’s and even the Florida legislature convened there in 1939. So if there is truth to this legend, then one can draw a connection between the gangster Al Capone to the rich and famous and to the government of the state of Florida.
Witch Island
Apparently the Lake has been host to a coven of witches throughout the decades. I have heard eye witness accounts (from anonymous sources) of witches dancing naked under the full moon. A favorite gathering place of this coven was an island located…well, um, I’m not exactly sure where. But I have been told it is an island that long time Lakers call “Witch Island.”
Moon Lake Big Foot (or Swamp Squatch)
I know, surely not, Big Foot? But of all the legends, the Swamp Squatch is the one most collaborated by first person accounts. They range from the typical finding of huge foot prints to frightening tales of trailers being rocked, foul smelling breath outside windows and actual sightings of the mammoth hairy creature.
 
 
 

17 comments:

  1. thank you for the info. i live here and the only one i heard about was capone. i actually heard that he lived right off of moonlake road and a few years back they tore down his house and found a bunch of bones as the were digging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also live here and have heard all three of these stories. The "Witch Island" is on a lake, located somewhere near Midvale (Ave?). I have heard several stories of the Swamp Squatch. Red eyes in the woods, large sasquatch looking creatures running in the woods parallel to a road people have been biking on. (specifically, Midvale,as well as other streets)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen swamp thing a few times. Very scary but never hurt anyong that I have heard about.

      Delete
  3. Also, here is a link to the story of the witch coven shootings. http://www.beyondweird.com/Wicca/lothlor.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I grew up here, I have seen the swampsquatch, I got married in the old Moon Lake Lodge two years before it burned down and I know where Witch Island is... I walked past the road to it everyday after school.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The "witch island" is off Marigold in the woods somewhere

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to live in a house on marigold dr i was very young under 10 when I saw something like tan in the woods while me and my dad was in the backyard I told him to look at it and it was gone, it could’ve been a normal animal but it was huge didn’t look normal also one night I heard my neighbors wife or husband came out the words w a knife in their chest, also tried going back in the woods before but there was a fence right before a fallen down house was, I heard ab the witches from someone I don’t remember when I was young too. I was always scared in that house for some reason.

      Delete
  6. Capone was One of the money men as well as R.E. Olds. One of the Vanderbuilts, and Joe Kennedy Sr. To name a few.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No witch island is the island off Jerome Dr. They use to do rituals and stuff like that on the isolated island. Also I've lived out here in Moon Lake for my entire life (23 years) I've never once seen a sasquatch or heard of it other then online. But Al Capone lived off of Moon Lake rd in the dude ranch. Its a huge house that actually sits off Moon Lake park. Also the land here was at one point land to the native Americans where anywhere woods is there is hundreds of burial mounds. I know just about everything there is to know about this neighborhood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The “Witches Island” is absolutely right off of Marigold Drive. I remember when the shootout happened and I remember Linda and the Streeters. You can easily look on Google Maps and see where there houses were

      Delete
    2. i used to live in a house on marigold and would always hear things in the backyard and saw something once in the woods it looked like an animal but it was huge and i was telling my dad to look at it and it was just gone.

      Delete
    3. also one day my neighbor cant remember if it was the husband or wife but one of them came out of the woods behind our houses with a knife in their chest pretty sure they were dead my parents saw it but i didnt cause i was very young

      Delete
  8. Hello,
    We are going on around 2 years plus in in Florida. We are based out of Hudson.
    We like to go on Adventures and try to help out others if we can.
    We will explore and abandon or haunted locations. Like to capture video and pictures of places before it is tore down. Plus if you think it is haunted we will check it out for you. We believe in as nd love all the history around. Plus want to explore these 3 places. If anyone can talk with us and also do some interviews let me know. Plus need locations to go too and people to talk to for permission.
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you still looking for people to meet with in Moon Lake FL?

      Delete
  9. My mother was the high priestess when the shootout happened.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mary is your mom?

    ReplyDelete