Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Happy Turkey Day from the Little White Devil


I plan on being to stuffed to blog tomorrow so I’m getting my holiday greetings in early. You’re probably wondering about the little white devil. Isn’t he sooo cute? Wait, is he wearing a pilgrim‘s hat? And what’s under his arm, is that a turkey? Yes. Somewhere along the production line a native american decided to make a statement in the form of a stuffed toy. One of my nieces gave this to me, it came out of a claw machine of all places. I think it’s freaking hilarious; a lot of my friends just don’t get it. But after being programmed in elementary school with construction paper turkey hands and thanksgiving pageants to believe we all just got along, I suppose I can’t blame them. As for me, in junior high when most kids were tuning out their history teachers I was listening with growing horror to the truth of what happened. Ever since I’ve been on the fence about thanksgiving. I like the holiday (love the food, yum), believe it’s a good thing to have a day just to be thankful for all u’ve got, but feel guilty for celebrating a holiday that to this day native americans protest. And who can blame them? If their ancestors had known how it would all turn out, I think it would have gone a little differently. More than likely the native’s would have been shooting arrows instead of sharing maize.
Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment